Finance Manager Consultant
- Job Type: Full Time, Salaried
- Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer, James Vanreusel
- Location: San Francisco | Remote & On-site
We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working environments. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions. We strongly encourage qualified women, people of color, and individuals of diverse backgrounds to apply.
You will work closely with our diverse client base, build new products and be a core part of our business development. The Finance Manager will gain exposure to our network of startups and vendor ecosystem, as well as insight into our financial and operational processes.
We believe this combination of exposures is one of the elements that make Vanreusel Ventures unique and keeps fresh ideas flowing in and out of our team. If you have a desire to learn and are focused on creating a rewarding career, we hope you will consider applying.
We are an entrepreneurial team with big ambitions. We provide independent corporate finance and CFO services for US-based companies with revenues between $1-100 million. Most of our clients have extensive international operations, and we are actively engaged in strategically scaling them across five continents. We are looking for the right individual to assist us in scaling our organization and growing the delivery of our services and products. This is a fantastic opportunity to join us at an early stage and help grow and develop our organization to a high level.
You will be in an exciting entrepreneurial position to both scale Vanreusel Ventures (internal) as well as be part of our external corporate finance/CFO delivery team (external).
This is a fast-paced, high-energy, deadline-driven position in an entrepreneurial environment. Although we are based in San Francisco, the job can be done 100% remotely if needed. Especially for the right person.
Due to the high-growth nature of our business, the duties and responsibilities of this position will evolve, so we are looking for someone with the capacity and desire to grow with the position. As such, we provide coaching and mentoring towards your goals.
You’ll work side-by-side with a small but highly creative, motivated team committed to making a transformational difference in the lives of our clients. Our team has a hybrid work environment engaging from our office in downtown San Francisco and home.
You will work with our team to provide advice to for-profit clients as well as non-profit clients at the cusp of impact at scale. This would entail the following areas: modeling, FP&A, budgeting/strategic planning, investor relations, capital raising, mergers and acquisitions, IPO preparation, scaling operations, and attending board meetings.
Key Responsibilities/ Outcomes to Vanreusel Ventures
The Finance Manager will join our team in a leadership role and will be integral in scaling the organization. We have a strong focus on:
- New product development and innovation to create new revenue streams
- Business development and networking to create predictable lead generation to meet client acquisition targets, and
- Setting up and maintaining key systems and processes.
We invest heavily in these three areas and expect you to be an integral part in driving further progress.
→ Innovation of New Products: 5-15%
- Thinks outside the box to develop new software products
- Creates new products to upsell to clients
- Upsells to existing clients and ensures that the business is maximizing its efforts at 100% for each client.
→ Business Development: 5%
- Networks and establishes new relationships within the financial and startup ecosystem
- Deepens relationships with existing clients, investment firms, and vendors
- Makes an ask and is bold when opportunities arise
→ Professional growth: 5-10%
- Works through online corporate finance courses to establish a baseline
- Prepares for and attends biweekly 1-1s for coaching and mentoring
- Attends specific conferences
Key Responsibilities/ Outcomes to Clients
The VP Finance works directly with the CEO of the client organization and is responsible for acting as the strategic financial partner and advisor to the CEO. The VP of Finance leads on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, financial planning, strategic plan preparation, cost control, forecasting needs, the securing of new funding, financial reporting to funders and boards, corporate development and is the chief financial spokesperson for the organization.
Key Responsibilities/ Outcomes to Clients (External)
The Finance Manager works directly with the CEO of the client organization, and alongside the VV CFO, and will over time act as a strategic financial partner and advisor to the CEO. The goal is to provide customers a strategic view not just a tactical day-to-day determination of events. The Finance Manager leads on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, financial planning, strategic plan preparation, cost control, forecasting needs, the securing of new funding, financial reporting to funders and boards, corporate development.
Key External Requirements (Client Facing) – 75-85%
→Leadership & Analysis
- Provides financial analysis for strategic channel, vertical and geographic expansion plans.
- Prepares excellent forward-looking financial models. Oversee FP&A, financial reporting and KPI tracking.
- Creates detailed bottom-up multi-entity budgets. Ability to run the budgeting process from start to finish.
- Drives business results and accountability. Mobilizes information gathering and analysis resources to focus on most impactful priorities.
- Provides M&A modeling and due diligence expertise for acquisitions.
- Drives capital raising (Equity Seed/Series A/Series B and beyond + debt) and communicate crisply with investors
- Works along different capital structures and maximizes a company’s valuation for future exit
- Manages an audit process on a tight time schedule across multiple geographies.
- Develops a sound understanding of the core IT systems and software being used for managing day-to-day operations.
- Ensures strict application and compliance of the company’s financial and HR management policies, procedures & controls. Ensure regulatory compliance and 100% timely payment of various taxes and reporting.
- Trains, develops and mentors the finance and accounting departments of clients
- Takes the lead in working with multiple companies — you will be accountable to clients
- Communicates with senior and divisional management, both one-on-one and in presentation format. Presents to and attends meetings with CEOs and Board of Directors.
→ Financial Monitoring & Control
- Manages relationships with banks, debt and equity investors, philanthropic and other financing institutions to secure funding to meet the organization’s operating cash flow and future product development needs.
- Completes ongoing cash flow projections and operating forecasts, reflecting latest revenues, product costs and operating expenses.
- Maintains laser focus on short and long-term cash flow activities.
- Manages completion of the organization’s annual audit, sales and state audits, and annual taxes including Form 990 submission for non-profits.
- Oversees work performed by outside accounting services, ensuring reporting is in accordance with accounting standards and other compliance requirements.
- Establish a monthly reporting system to account for revenue booking and invoicing, sales tax and shipping cost charges, tracking of deferred revenue, customer cash receipts and accounts receivable.
Qualifications & Education:
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following:
- Commitment and passion for the mission and values of Vanreusel Ventures, as well as its strategic vision.
- Acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands.
- Integrity, ability to build trust, and exceptional judgment
- Leadership skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization as well as with external constituents.
- Passion for entrepreneurial ventures.
- 4 Year Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related area.
- CPA, CFA Charter holder, MBA, or working towards designation
- Minimum of 5-8 years of professional experience working in finance and accounting
- Deep knowledge using QuickBooks (Online and Enterprise), Xero, INTACCT, and/or Netsuite accounting software
- Experience across all aspects of accounting (audits, COA, closing the books,
- Excellent communication skills (writing and speaking) in English. Must be able to express thoughts and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to convert detailed financial analysis to understandable summaries and recommendations for management and board of directors.
- Flexibility with changing priorities and comfort in ambiguous situations
- Proven ability to work independently, comes with high energy, velocity in project turnaround time.
- Must be proactive, anticipates questions and problems
- Attention to detail, coachable, clinical adherence to deadlines, ambitious
- Must be flexible with working hours to communicate with international offices
- Premium medical insurance 100% covered for employees
- Unlimited PTO
- 401K with an impressive match
- Ability to work remotely and in the office
- Professional Development budget
- Hybrid/Office Expense Benefit
Vanreusel Ventures is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.